Essential cleaning tips for pet owners
Our pets love nothing better than running about outside, chewing and playing with nearly anything that moves, picking up bacteria as they go. That’s why it’s important to take a few steps to help ensure they don’t inadvertently spread bacteria to your home.
Equally, you want to ensure the cleaning products you are using in your home are suitable to use around pets - always read and follow the product labels carefully. We instruct that users need to allow ample time before letting their pets return to disinfected areas, or need to rinse the areas thoroughly after use, depending on the product.
Can bacteria be spread from my pet?
Certain bacteria that pets carry, such as salmonella and staphylococcus, can be spread to humans through contact with your pet. Practicing good hygiene can still help to protect the whole family by reducing the risk.
Top tips for a healthier home with pets
Protect your family by following these simple hygiene practices.
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds to a minute after petting or playing with pets, their toys, leads or leashes, cages, blankets, bedding, etc.
- Wash your hands before preparing or serving food.
- Encourage children to wash their hands before eating, especially if they have been in contact with pets.
Pets on kitchen surfaces
- It’s important not to allow pets to climb on surfaces where food is prepared or served, as they can spread bacteria and dirt from their paws or fur. The inquisitive nature of cats means they just can’t resist exploring all the nooks and crannies of your home. Even “off-limit” areas like kitchen counters are sometimes frequented when no one is looking.
- To be safe, make sure you spray or wipe countertops and food areas with an antibacterial product before preparing and serving food.
- Entryways/floors frequented by pets coming in from outdoors and litterbox areas should be given special attention.
- Muddy paws can track in bacteria and dirt. Keep a spare towel at the door to wipe your dog’s feet if you can.
- Clean and disinfect floors regularly in busy pet entryways and near litter boxes.
- Station litter boxes away from where inquisitive toddlers can reach them.
- When buying pet beds, look for those with removable covers and wash pet bedding regularly.
- Use Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Sanitiser* to kill bacteria
- If your pets sleep on you or your kids’ beds, make sure you wash and disinfect bed linens regularly.
Safe Cleaning Tips
- Avoid harsh chemicals when cleaning areas that pets frequent, and/or rinse well with warm water.
- When cleaning floors, always prevent pets from walking across them until they are dry and have been rinsed off.
- If your puppy is prone to drinking from the toilet, avoid in-the-bowl toilet cleaners, or keep the lid closed.
- Keep cleaning products safely stored in cupboards with caps screwed on tightly to avoid accidental ingestion.
- Avoid cleaning pet cages and fish tanks in your kitchen sink. Clean them outside if you can, using a bucket of fresh soapy water, or a pet-friendly detergent.
For more information on how you can keep your home clean – apart from keeping your pets’ activities hygienic – click here.
*Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use.