When was the last time you thought about how you wash your hands? You’ve been doing it all of your life – but have you been hand washing correctly?
Did you know that to wash your hands thoroughly, you'll need to take around 30 seconds to a minute, or roughly the time to sing "Happy Birthday" twice, to get them properly clean? You may not want to sing it out loud, but it's a handy reminder for you to take the time you need to wash your hands!
Good hand hygiene and good a hand washing technique can significantly reduce the spread of harmful bacteria that can lead to diarrhoea, vomiting and other infections. Follow these 8 steps to perfect your hand washing technique.
Good hand washing technique
- Wet hands with clean warm running water
- Apply a small amount of soap - 2 pumps of Dettol hand wash
- Rub your palms together (away from the water)
- Rub your fingers and thumbs and bits in between
- Rub your nails on your palms
- Rub the back of each hand
- Rinse with clean running water
- Dry with a clean towel or paper towel
With so much going on, it’s easy to forget about washing hands. So try to make it a routine so you get into the habit. Leave yourself a note, set a reminder on your phone, or write out this list until it sticks.